The Internet is one of the main tools of education for students these days. Whether it involves conducting research for a master’s thesis, watching online tutorials to enhance their foreign language skills, or reading guides to use design software better – more and more students are relying on the online world to improve their performance. If you have years of experience in a certain field or a degree in education, online tutoring is a wonderful avenue for you to explore.
What An Online Tutor Does?
As an online tutor, you would teach your students through videos, blog posts, eBooks, video conferencing, email and various kinds of online teaching tools. There’s basically no limit to the kinds of tools you can choose. Depending on the subject you teach, you can choose the kind of content and program to use. Most tutors use a combination of software, web conferencing tools, YouTube videos and email. You would also assign homework to your students from time to time, like any other kind of teacher.
Why Become an Online Tutor?
The demand for online tutors is on the rise. There are students who are on the look for teachers in almost every subject to help them with their studies.
Online tutoring provides a great deal of flexibility. You can teach from the comfort of your own home, and you can find students from any corner of the world.
The best part about being an online tutor is that it barely requires any investment. All you need is a computer, a fast Internet connection, and some basic tools to make videos and study material.
Easy to Start
If you have established yourself as an expert in a certain field or if you own a degree in teaching, you stand a good chance of being accepted as an online tutor. Reputed organisations will require you to give a test or interview. Or if you want to freelance, you can just set up your YouTube channel or website, and start gathering students.
You can do online tutoring as a job by working with a specific company, as a freelancer with various websites, or you can start it up as your own business. Many students and professionals also tutor online as a part time job. Quite a lot of such tutors have found better opportunities in online tutoring, and proceeded to do it on a full time basis.
How to Get Started as an Online Tutor?
I recommend working with companies as the best way to get started as an online tutor. This is because you can access their student base, and observe how the industry works before you take the big leap. Where a profile is needed, share all your achievements and certificates in your field. Here is a list of sites you can begin with.
- VIPKid: VIPKid is a popular online tutoring platform that connects English-speaking tutors with Chinese students. The platform specializes in teaching English as a second language to young learners. Tutors create interactive and engaging lessons using the provided curriculum and conduct one-on-one sessions with students through video conferencing.
- Cambly: Cambly is an online tutoring platform that focuses on language learning. Tutors can teach English to students from around the world through live video chat sessions. Cambly offers a flexible schedule, allowing tutors to log in and start teaching whenever they want. It’s a great option for those who enjoy conversational teaching and want to connect with students globally.
- Chegg Tutors: Chegg Tutors is an online tutoring platform that covers a wide range of subjects, including math, science, languages, and more. Tutors can create their profiles and set their own hourly rates. Students can browse through tutor profiles and select the one that fits their needs. Chegg Tutors offers flexibility in terms of scheduling, allowing tutors to choose their availability and conduct sessions via chat, audio, or video.
- Tutor.com: Tutor.com is a well-established online tutoring platform that offers tutoring services in various subjects, including math, science, English, social studies, and more. Tutors work with students from kindergarten through college. Tutor.com provides a virtual classroom environment where tutors can interact with students through chat, audio, or whiteboard tools. They offer flexible scheduling options to accommodate both the tutor’s and student’s availability.
- Wyzant: Wyzant is a popular tutoring marketplace that connects tutors with students seeking personalized instruction. Tutors can create their profiles, set their own rates, and choose the subjects they want to teach. Wyzant offers in-person as well as online tutoring options, providing flexibility for tutors to choose the format that works best for them. It covers a wide range of subjects and is open to tutors with various expertise levels.
These platforms provide opportunities for online tutors to connect with students from different backgrounds and offer flexible schedules to accommodate their availability. Each platform has its own unique features and requirements, so it’s important to explore them further to find the one that aligns with your skills and preferences.
The world of online tutoring is filled with opportunities. So all you need to do is select the skill which you can easily share with others and register in one of the top sites and start being an online tutor. So why waiting now try online tutoring and share in your experience.
In 2012, I graduated from the university with a degree in Computer Science. In the same year, I started working as an Internet marketer in a private company, where I still work today. At the same time, I am developing my Internet resources, programming at an amateur level, looking for and testing various ways to make money on the Internet, which I share on this Internet resource.